Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Do your relatives give you a headache?

My mom called today to cancel our lunch date on Sunday – which is fine with me – no big deal. I was in the middle of eating lunch when she called. She wanted to know what I was eating, so I told her that I was having a sandwich and some chips. She proceeded to tell me that it doesn’t seem like I’m eating much, but it seems that I am still fat, so why don’t I try to exercise some. What the h---? Is this the Vietnamese way of making a compliment? May be that’s normal for Vietnamese people, but in America it’s considered an insult. It’s an equivalent of telling a Vietnamese person in Vietnam that they have a pretty tan.

2 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moms are the most infuriating. I find that my mom likes to tell me when I look a little heavier or a little skinnier, even though most of the time she is wrong. My favorite is when she sees a pimple on my face and tells me to stop eating chocolate and drinking coffee. Go figure.

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the way my Vietnamese-Chinese wife has been treating me for 33 years. I guess she has become my mom. And the reasons for doing something or not doing something always come out-of-the blue somewhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home