Tuesday, November 01, 2005

This time last year


I can't believe a year had passed since my trip to Vietnam. This time last year, I was packing my bag and taking a 15 hour flight on Korean Air to Ho Chi Minh city.
Is it possible to be "homesick", when it's really not your home?
I've been talking about visiting Vietnam for years. I wanted to see my aunts and uncles and my nanny, who took care of me when I was growing up. I waited too long - in 2003, my nanny died from cancer. It prompted me to make the trip and I'm so glad I did.

For months, I couldn't sleep, thinking about my trip and all the things I will see and do. Once I was in Vietnam, I felt right at home.

Now I'm just obsess with all things related to Vietnam. I can't wait to make my trip again. Until we meet again...

3 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger layered said...

I hope you will keep writing about your "homesickness" and that will help you plan to return to Vietnam some day. It is very possible to do things in opposition to what is usual, like be homesick for a place that is not your current home -- I get culture shock in reverse when I return home to the U.S.A.

Please write about your trip a year ago. And thanks for linking to my blog.
-- Mel (http://layered.typepad.com)

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Van Cong Tu said...

Hi Thuy,
Glad to know someone out of Viet Nam willing to come Viet nam. As you know I have my own blog and all I write is about reality in Vietnamese life and I recieved quite alot rude comments talking bad about Viet Nam, and most of them are from Vietnamese who living in other countries and made me feel really bad. Thanks for checking my blog. Can I link you in my blog?

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger Thuy said...

Mel - good luck with your business in Vietnam.
VNGod - I've heard many Vietnamese in California refuse to go to Vietnam. It's too bad. If they'd set their differences aside for a little trip, they might see it differently. It was such an emotional trip for me. It really connected me to my heritage!
You may link to my blog if you wish.
Again, thanks for visiting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home