Monday, January 29, 2007

Carte D'Identite - from Indochina

Wow! I just found my grandmother's old id (dated 1947) from Indochina's days. The Geneva Accord was not signed until 1954. On the left of the paper, it said 'Quoc - Gia Viet - Nam', then 'Phu Thu - Hien Bac - Viet'. On the right, it showed "Carte D'Identite"

When my grandmother (ba ngoai) died, I kept some of her things in a suitcase. I was too sad to look at them. Tonight, as I cleaned out that old suitcase, I found my grandmother's old id. Her picture is no longer on there, but it had her old address - Sadi Carnot is the street name, of Ha Dong. So French!

I am sure that street name no longer exist. I googled the name and found a well known thermodynamics scientist and engineer who later became French president in 1887-1894. If anyone out there from Hanoi/Hai Phong/Ha Dong knows this street name still exist, I'd like to hear from you. I would love to see a little bit of my heritage.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:50 AM, Blogger Minh H. Dinh said...

no longer exists in Hanoi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home