Saturday, November 06, 2004

Trip to Vietnam - November 2004

It's been 29 years since I've returned to Viet Nam. I left with my family in 1975 when South Vietnam fell to the Viet Cong. I was 10 years old and have some memories of the evacuation of Sai Gon; taking a helicopter from the rooftop of American Embassy.

I used to dream of visiting Viet Nam. When I think of Viet Nam, I think of the beginning of Tommy Lee Jones' movie "Heaven & Earth". In the beginning of the movie, you see a helicopter landing in a field. I don't know if it's a rice field or tall grass. Because the propellers are spinning, the wind from it caused the tall green grass to sway. In the background you see palm trees against soaring mountains, cloaked by dense, misty forest.

I also think of the trees lined streets in Saigon. I remembered riding on the back of the moped with my dad visiting one of his friend on Duy Tan Street. I also remembered going to a Catholic school - Notre Dame des Mission. I wondered if that school is still there.

On to my trip... after a flight that took almost a whole day with a connecting flight in Seoul, Korea; we finally touched down in Sai Gon Friday evening. Viet Nam is 12 hours ahead of EST. I was excited but extremely jet lagged. I went straight to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home